Friday, April 19, 2013

Seasick and the Seagull

So.  You're a seagull, I'm trapped inside of a boat, and we are both bored enough to be "talking" to each other.  Yeah, I know, way too much for your pea-sized brain to handle. *sqwaaaack*  Of all the things you'd unerstand that. . .oh, wait, magical boat powers.  I'm prolly attuned to you varmints for their twisted pleasure.  Not that they let on that they know they trapped me in here.  They just keep calling the boat, me I guess, some weird name that they painted on my side.  I'm pretty sure it's a girls name.  To taunt me.  For getting caught.  Hey, stop pecking at me!  I wouldn't care, it's their boat and all, but I can actually feel that.  Only reason I haven't cracked the thing in two on a rock.  I said knock it off.  Anyway, You do as good a job at ignoring me as they do.  I've tried protesting, I really have.  They just ignore me or claim it was a nightmare.  I mean, eventually I think I could get through, or maybe just spook them enough to leave me alone, but then I'd really be just a hunk of wood floating around on the ocean.  I don't even like the ocean.  I came from a desert, y'know, the hot places?  Like a beach, but bigger?  Nothing like this blue, twice as blue as home.  Blue waves to go with the blue sky.  And then when they're not blue they're white, which means I get wet.  Wetter.  Laughing?  Can seagulls really laugh?  Maybe I am getting through. Okay, yes, I could see you nod.  Don't bother looking though, I'm the ship, not behind the mast.  I am the mast.  I'm the rigging and the deck and the sides and the oars, the whole lot of it.  All damp and yucky too.  Barnacles all over my, well, underside.  That's the worst part, the underside.  It's always cold and wet and just entirely grimey.  It's either some divine punishment, which I swear is not on the level of a few lies to Rhea about where I went that night, or somebody here is an asshole.  A smug asshole too, First thing I see is a guy with a broken bottle, all grinning, crowd cheering behind him.  Some sort of festival.  It took a while to figure out I was the boat.  Normally you don't think about how a boat would see.  Normally you wouldn't have to, right?  Oh, right, seagull, of course not.  But it's weird.  I'm not seeing through an eye or anything, more like just kind of an aura and stuff.  Same area I can kinda push the water around a bit in, or blow some wind around.  Nice for pulling pranks, nicer for fixing things for when they screw up and would get me hurt.  The pecks are annoying but scraping a rock or hitting a wave wrong?  That smarts.  I'd be mutual helpmanship, or something, if I didn't hate them that is.  I mean, who really goes and imprisons somebody in a ship?

2 comments:

  1. Probably some kind of wizard. Thingomancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boatagician.

    I like the part about the barnacles. Feel like that now.

    ReplyDelete