Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Something Rough that's also Dialogue

So you know me from the future, or something, is that it? I'm not even really sure what this has to do with the interview I'm supposed to have today.

Well, it's not exactly the future if you look at it, your future, yes, but not mine, and if I have a handle on it, not the absolute future either.

That makes absolutely no sense, if time travel were real there'd be all sorts of shenanigans going on, like in the movies. You can't expect me to believe that in the past future or whatever

local past

yeah, whatever, that I showed up out of nowhere in your bathroom to deliver a package dressed up as a delivery girl and said I traveled through time.

No, but I do do want to be able to say I told you so about a year ago when we ran into each other in New Denver. From the look you gave me I'd say that you remembered.

Sure crazy man. Buy me another slushie before I have to go over for the interview?

Might as well, my appointment isn't 'till 3:30 anyway. Glenda would just make me wait around reading the same boring magazines if I show up now anyway. That's your interview for the desk job at Sliplutions, right?

Mhmm.

Figured as much, hiring is a breeze though, and like I said, you'll get the job, they just have to make sure that you showed up at the right point in time and that you're actually going to have been part of the company.

My cousins told me that they do some sort of pre-hiring background check before you come in and already know before the interview or something. Said it was creepy that they looked me up during the thing. Weird thing was that they said that the lady at the desk told them to ask me about it next week, like the week after today.

That's why you looked into the position then?

Well yeah, if the ad's right they pay way more than the ports do, even the expensive ones where they let you help with 'ship maintenance.

You have no idea.

What 'choo smiling at?

Nothin' you'll get it further on down.

If weirdos like you hang around there it's not gonna be a boring job anyway. They prolly told you who I was so that you could haze me before they told me I got the job. pretty lax for business policy, but it's not like I've seen one of these places anywhere else, so it's pretty local. Now for real, stop grinning like that, it's freaking me out.

Alright then, might as well head over there though, it's almost quarter after.

I know I know, it's just across the street though, and I wanna finish this slushie real quick.

That's gonna give you a brain freeze, J.

Musta told you who I was, no way some stranger would just guess my name like that. lets go.

sure looks like it, huh?

It does, 'cause time travel doesn't exist. We've got space ships and stuff, but time travel is sci-fi, through an' through.

Have ye no faith in the tabloids, then? every other week they claim time travelers are messing with their stories.

Look, just because some scientist they found somewhere says its possible doesn't mean they're right. How would a huge organization that spans most of advanced technological time really hide itself anyway?

It doesn't have to, really, it is pretty much just destined to exist like that, stable time loops and all. It's mostly self contained. About half of the work that we do is actually from future workers to their past selves, making sure that they get into the loop.

Like that package that you said you sent to yourself, that you said I delivered?

Exactly, after you, J.

Nice of you to hold the door, Mr?

Kent, Argent Kent, and yes, I had to connect myself to the organization, plus some other stuff. I'll have told you some of it, and you were along for bits, so I won't spoil them.

Whatever you say Mr. Kent.

Main desk is off to the right, I'm off to the left where the offices are, Later J.

Later. Should be easy, signs and everthing, but you'd think there'd be a lobby. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment