Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Haiku Reborn 5

My rage does not match
the girlishly high pitched scream
that escapes my mouth.

Two scenarios
seem to fit my circumstance,
and both enrage me.

Yet another bug.
Caged here by incompetence,
would be pathetic.

Worse still would be spite.
Taunting with a broken button
will call down vengeance.

I steam while sitting
in the fuzzy, green grassland.
Shrill profanity.

In my excitement
I become aware of birds
converging toward me.

High up in the sky
feathered shapes make their descent
towards delicious me.

Thinking about it
don't rabbits have quite a few
common predators?

That's what I heard on
those wildlife-habitat
television shows.

Another reason
picking fluffy,blind, no-thumbs
as a race was dumb.

At a break-neck pace,
my death on wings drew closer
while I sat thinking.

Before more cursing
before it hit me, it did:
I should be running.

My very first hop
was out of the sharp talons
of a monster bird.

It was so damn huge.
Seriously ginormous.
Or maybe I'm small?

Seven times my size,
black wing tip to black wing tip,
with glinting steel claws.

Awe-struck to the core
by its splendor, I barely
dodged its two brothers.

Kicking the hard ground,
without using my full strength
I would be lunch meat.

Almost by instinct
my body starts to zig-zag
to shake off pursuit.

Without direction
I flee from the close fly-by's,
my fur soaked in sweat.

My back screams at me
wet and sizzling in the heat.
A beautiful day.

Were it not for fear,
watching this aerial dance
would be a delight.

They circle and dive.
At the last moment I leap
and they flap past me.

One of monsters
has claws that glisten bright red.
What an odd color.

Left. Right. Left. Left. Right.
Each leap, each breath, each heart-beat,
pounds out a rhythm.

Was it an hour,
or a minute until there!
Dive into that bush!

A few cuts and scrapes
from the thorns do not matter
for such a refuge.

I am exhausted
so I think I'll rest a bit
just a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment