Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Something of a God Complex

Down by the waterfront you could see the city lights from across the bay just glistening on the swells and the sides of boats as it all drifted out down river.  Quite night then, not busy, not loud, not colorful, not yet.  See, the thing was, sitting here under the trees in this park, sitting under the cover of the looming elm trees, sitting waiting for something to happen, I knew a bit more than one might say was legal seeing as how I was keeping it to myself.  They call it aiding and abetting, y'know.

Soon as it got real quiet that medium sized yellow boat would come floating down the river, and the city would see a show.  A show was what I was here for too, but my backdrop looked a bit more promising.  Coincidence they might say at later dates.  Two heists on the same night, followed by a hostage situation and a car chase, not to mention the boat chase from the first heist.  The explosions would be ascribed to chance, the fires and the way they danced from building to building as well.

I know better though, and if you wanted to point a finger, you might say that I was in some way responsible, sure.  I did a bit of nudging, pushing things back and forth in the river of time.  One fire back a few years, another forward a week or two.  Time the criminal element to strike at that hour in the night.  I can't be blameless, but it wasn't like I caused them, just pushed a little.

Over the years some people seem to think that bad things are just innately drawn towards others, like some snowball rolling down a white hill.  Either science or some sort of karma approach, and to some extent they are right, right about the way things flow into one another.  Nights like this though, perfect intersections, they're a bit hard to come by naturally.  Pompeii was one of the few, really, and that was more just spectacular in majesty of a volcano.

This night though, not perhaps one of the most spectacular, but it will be talked of for a few years.  If I waited a few more, maybe I could have snuck in an earthquake or a flood, but then I'd be bending the rules a bit.

Lately the big heads don't want us fiddling with the weather, say they have something huge planned, something world-wide.  Might be worth the show, but it might also be a bit premature to throw on these little monkeys.  Maybe they don't realize it, but these ones are a true joy to mess with, always getting back up after we push them down, like self assembling block towers.  Most entertaining thing to happen in a long time.  I might be able to slide the scale in a few places, fiddle with the world in what they would call a very boring way.  I think they show enough promise for that investment.

Anyway, here comes that yellow boat.

1 comment: